Thursday, October 28, 2010

Numenorean Design

I felt the need for a new hand project and I recently rewatched the Lord of the Rings. There are so many wonderful designs in the architecture and clothing in these movies. The floor of the kings hall in the citadel of Minis Tirith was the inspiration for the basic design - the on-point square with circles.


I stitched this design by machine and now I am going back and filling in with hand stitching.


Wow! You can really tell the difference in the lighting conditions of my sewing room. The second picture is truer to the real color of the turquoise wool I am using.

The current plan is to cover the machine stitching by couching some thin crochet thread over it. I have beads and buttons that may get added too. At the moment I do not have a firm plan of where this is going. I'm just making a decision about one part then doing it. As I work, other ideas come to me which I write down or sketch in my idea book.

If you are interested, you can see the floor I am talking about in the third movie, The Return of the King.

This will be my last post for a few days. I am going on a quilt retreat this weekend with my guild. I leave as soon as possible tomorrow morning. Today is being filled with packing and baking.

2 comments:

Mama Pea said...

Seriously now. Can we please move closer together so we can play and you can help me move in this direction?!

I love those movies, and every time I watch them I also notice all the wonderful designs. I have always loved Celtic designs, and these movies are filled with Celtic flair.

I REALLY love what you are doing here. I cannot wait to see where you take it. Do you have batting behind the wool, or are you just working on the wool?

Barb said...

Oh wow....that is amazing and I can't wait to see what All you are going to do to it!