Monday, January 24, 2011

Numenorian Design Progress

I have slowly been making progress on my little Tolkien inspired Numenorian design. I started with a very basic sketch. I can't find my sketch at the moment, but it was essentially what I have stitched below.


I stitched out the design by machine after drawing it with a little sliver of Ivory soap. Just stitched on the drawn lines. Then I started filling in with hand stitching.




I'm stitching with number 8 white Pearl Cotton. This last photo is where I am with this right now.


The next step will be to cover the machine stitched lines from the first photo with thin crochet yarn. After that, I don't know what I will do next. I've got plenty of time to think about it though.

This series of photographs, all of the exact same piece in various stages, really demonstrates how uneven the lighting situation is in my sewing room. I need to work on that! I should also work on learning to edit my photos better. It's on my list for this year.

2 comments:

Mama Pea said...

I'm sitting here with my mouth hanging open with the amazing stuff you have done here. I remember this from your sketchbook! Well done! I don't really know how to hand quilt that well, so I couldn't do this. How will you cover the original stitching with crochet yarn? I'm curious to see how you'll do that.

I know what you mean about lighting situations. I have the same problems!

Barb said...

You are doing an amazing job....that is just awesome!