Monday, April 25, 2011

Art Group: Non-pattern pattern blocks

My art group met last week and I showed them how to make the non-pattern block. I blogged about my first attempt with this process here. This idea originated with Victoria from The Silly BooDilly.

This is what I made last week during my art group session.


It is currently still unfinished. I realized that I cut my base rectangle too big for the size block I wanted to end up with. I cut the base 12" by 15". This is the size I wanted to end up with so I should have cut the base rectangle smaller. I started over and cut 9" by 12" base rectangles.

Here are the blocks I've made so far.




I still need to make the green block. This is one layout I am considering.


I'm probably going to put some type of pieced sashing between the blocks and around them as a border. I didn't realize until I took the picture how tree-like the bottom right block is. Interesting.

I've also begun hand quilting the first block I made. I decided to just finish this one as a single because I really don't have enough of the fabrics to make more. Besides, I like it as a single.


I'm not sure what I'll do with my first unfinished purple block. I thought I might cut it up and use it for sashing. Or I may finish it as a single or put it on the back of the four block quilt. I'm still thinking about its fate.

3 comments:

West Michigan Quilter said...

Love these blocks. I particularly like the aqua one. The hand quilting is a good idea. I'd be interested in seeing how you make these blocks into a sashing. Sounds like a great idea.

Sujata Shah said...

I like the process you are following. Lovely hand quilting too!

Mama Pea said...

Very cool, Lynn! I love what you're doing! There is so much movement. And I love how it combines the strategies we're currently working on!