Saturday, June 25, 2011

Home Again - Just in time for the Show

We made it home last night from our trip. The traveling was one of those experiences that makes a good story but isn't much fun at the time. I need to recover a bit before I can tell you about that. However, the visit at my parent's house with my sister and her kids was great. The cousins all had fun together.

I wanted to be home for this weekend because the Colorado Quilt Council held it's monthly meeting in Alamosa this morning and this weekend is my guild's annual quilt show. The speaker at the meeting was Robbi Joy Eklow and she will be teaching an all day class tomorrow that I'm signed up for. I'll tell you about that next week.

For the meeting my guild made columbine pins and the little bags made from the bottom part of the legs of old jeans.


We also gave out small bags of fingerling potatoes so the bags contain some recipes. The San Luis Valley has a lot of potato farms and one of the local farms donated these as welcome gifts to all attendees.


On to the show! Click on the images to see them larger.

This first quilt was made by my friend Janet Davis. Janet teaches at our local quilt store, The Gray Goose. She does beautiful work and has won some awards. She won third place in one of the recent Keepsake Quilting challenges, not with this quilt though.


Then an applique quilt by Mary Ann Sandoval. It is all hand applique and hand quilted. It was one of the first hand applique and hand quilted quilts Mary Ann did, but I think she did a nice job.


This next quilt was made by Karyl Scarlett. I thought it was darling and cutely embellished.


This one was made by Maverick Brooks-Turner. She calls the outside edge treatment "Texas Mink."


This one was made by one of my art group members, Peg Collins. She made the stars during one of our meetings when I showed everyone how to make wonky stars. It is hand quilted with intentionally larger stitches.


I saved the best for last. This one was made by Judy Freeark. It is all done by hand. Judy has also won some national recognition and had a quilt in the 2010 AQS Planner calendar - the one that is smaller like a day planner with a quilt for each week of the year.




There are many other quilts in our show. These are just a few that I got permission to share with you.

2 comments:

Barb said...

Glad you had a good time.

That first quilt is stunning...thanks for sharing the photos...amazing quilts.

Mama Pea said...

Wow, that last one really is spectacular. But I think my favorite is the wonky stars. I really like it!