Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Repurposing

I started listening to Anne of the Greenstitch blog and podcast last year. Anne has inspired me to think before I buy. Now when we need something, instead of automatically shopping for it, I stop to think if I could make it and could I make it out of something I already have.

Case in point: My husband bought a new skillet for the camper and I gave him a griddle for the camper for his birthday. He wanted covers for them so they don't get scratched up while stored in the camper. He asked me where I thought he should go to buy some and I said, "don't buy any, I think I can make you some." I've still got 11 panels of our old curtains, maroon cotton velvet. I pulled one of those out, measured his items and made covers in about two hours.

The skillet cover.



The griddle cover.



The skillet cover has a drawstring. I had to use some green grosgrain ribbon because it was the only "manly" thing I had enough of on hand. I didn't think he'd like pink! I told him it would be easy to change the drawstrings later if he really doesn't like the ribbon. The griddle cover has a flap that folds over the end of the griddle and goes about 1/4 of the way inside the cover.

I think he really likes them! I was glad to make them for him and use up some of the old curtains. As I was making the skillet cover it occurred to me that these curtains would make luxurious Christmas gift bags. I think that is what I will do with the rest of the curtain panel I used for these covers.

4 comments:

Anne K. said...

Hey, terrific bags - what a great use for that fabric! The idea of velvet bags for camper cookware is so chic! Thanks so much for the sweet mention, Lynn, I appreciate it!

We're camping this weekend, too, but no velvet bags for me....yet....hmmmmm!!!! :-)

Jackie said...

That is great, and they would make gorgeous Christmas bags!

Mama Pea said...

Great job upcycling again! Just wonderful. I think your idea for using up the rest is great, too. Hope you're having fun with your houseguests.

Deborah said...

Awesome idea! Nice job. I love repurposing everything.
Deborah