Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Crocheted Potholder

My son has a small part in our local college's upcoming production of A Christmas Carol. It has meant numerous evenings of rehearsals each week. I have enjoyed watching the show evolve and have been spending my time crocheting. The theater really isn't bright enough to sew, but I've had no trouble seeing well enough to crochet.

So far I have made a potholder using this tutorial by Deanna at Wedding Dress Blue.


It's just like the one I won, blogged here. I've only been crocheting for about a year. I've made one scarf which turned out terribly, mostly due to a bad choice of yarn, lots of dishcloths, a few Swiffer covers and now a potholder. Since I'm not an experienced crocheter, the construction of this potholder confused me a bit. I couldn't see how this was going to work. But I followed Deanna's excellent instructions and photos and everything worked out exactly like she described.

My confusion was due to lack of experience, not Deanna's instructions. I'm not experienced enough to read the directions and figure everything out before I start. So I just start and do step 1. By the time I'm ready for step 2 it usually makes sense to me. Then I proceed to step 3 and just trust that I'll understand each step when I get there. So far it has always worked out.

I've started another potholder. There are still three more weeks of rehearsals before opening night on December 2nd. I'll probably make a few more potholders at this rate.

5 comments:

West Michigan Quilter said...

Like your potholder. Looks like a nice tight stitch. thanks for the link. I'm going to try it. Often making dishcloths relaxes me. this should too.

Mama Pea said...

Nice looking potholder! I cannot get the hang of crochet. I can knit like crazy, but I cannot seem to get the hang of crochet! Glad you are doing so well with it!

quilthexle said...

Oh I just LOVE Christmas Carol ! it must be fun to see how the play evolves. Glad to see you can use the time (I NEVER was good at crocheting ... so it looks really complicated to me!)

Barb said...

YOurs looks great, I made one and it looks horrible but I have come to the conclusion that I needed thicker thread....so I am working on another now...

Deanna said...

Nice potholder! And so glad to hear the directions worked for you. I always worry about that. Keep us posted on how the rest go.