Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Charity Zig Zag Quilt

I really like this quilt!


I ran out of the pink background fabric I was using and had to substitute a different pink. Grrrr! It looks okay though. I'm not wild about the quilting design I used in the pink zig zags, but I'm glad I tried it. The design is functional but I don't think it really adds anything. I'll do something different on the next one. This was a fun, easy pattern so I will probably make another at some point.

Finished size is 42.5" by 54". For the back I used some Stampin' Up fabrics I was given by a friend.


They are larger than a quilter's fat quarter at about 18" by 28.5" which worked out well for the back of this quilt. The fabric quality is not as high a quilt shop quality, but acceptable to me. I think it is about the same as Hobby Lobby fabric quality.

I've said this before, but I'll say it again here, the pattern is called Super Zig by Monica Solorio-Snow. The pattern is free and you can find it here on the Lecien website. My blocks are 6" square, unfinished, so each of the zig zag pieces were cut 3.5" by 6" instead of whatever size the pattern says. I used my The Setting Triangle Ruler by Lynn Graves to figure out what size setting triangles I needed since my blocks are smaller than in the original pattern.

You can google "setting triangle ruler by Lynn Graves" and find lots of online sources for it if your LQS doesn't carry it. It's an excellent ruler to have on hand for quilts set on-point. Even though I know how to figure out what size setting triangles I need for any size square set on-point, it's nice to not have to figure it out if I don't want to. The ruler tells me what size strips to cut and then I use the ruler to cut the strips into triangles. Easy, accurate and fast!



4 comments:

West Michigan Quilter said...

Love your quilt. I think this will be a great way to use some of my scraps. Thanks for the link. What don't you like about the quilting. That was what caught my attention. I really like it. Did you do it yourself?

Unknown said...

A great way to use up the left over fabric. You did a great job. :)

Mama Pea said...

I really like this quilt, too! I like the different pinks in it.

Stampin Up makes fabric? I didn't know! I used to sell Stampin Up a LONG time ago!

I have to figure out setting triangles as soon as I finish the urban nine patch. I have Marti Michell's ruler. I hope that will be an easy one to figure out, too! Only two more blocks to go on mine!

Linda said...

Gorgeous!!! Love the way you have quilted it too. Super great quilt for leftovers!!!