Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Self Portrait

One of the things I worked on on my birthday was my Self Portrait project for my art group.


The background is sewn, the rest is partially fused together or pinned. I'm trying to figure out how to get the necklace on her. I have an idea but I need my Bernie to be able to try it. I'm thinking of running the necklace along the shoulders and satin stitching it down along with the shirt. Bernie is at my LQS still waiting for a part to come in to fix the knee lift. I've gotten as far as I want to go with this until I figure out the necklace issue.

If anyone has any other suggestions as to how I can get the necklace securely onto this piece please leave me a comment. I'm not sure my idea will work and I'm worried that it might leave too much of a ridge along the shoulders. The chain on the necklace is pretty long and I'm going to have to cut it anyway, so I have about 12" of chain to play with when trying out fastening ideas.

I've also thought about discretely cutting two holes on either side of the neck and running the necklace to the back through the batting and backing. I'm not sure how I would secure the necklace to the back though. It wouldn't need to be pretty, just secure and thin enough that it doesn't show on the front as a lump. Again, any words of wisdom would be appreciated, even advice on what not to try from those with any experience on this sort of thing.


2 comments:

Mama Pea said...

That is looking cute!

Hmmmm....well a couple of suggestions maybe. My first thought was to put an eyelet in the holes you make at each place where the necklace would go to the back. Run it to the back and tie it together with some thread, then cut off the excess chain.

Or better yet, what if you just cut off any excess chain you don't need and hand stitch the chain to the front using either beading thread or monofiliment? You could put a small stitch on most of the little chain links. Would that work?

West Michigan Quilter said...

I just remembered I didn't get back to you. I had to go get the address and probably got sidetracked. I love your self portrait. Carol ad http://mamacjt.blogspot.com/2013/01/australian-ladies-28-and-29.html Does a lot of things like that. You might ask her.