Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Triple Zip Along

The Triple Zip Along began yesterday! Below is a sample of what we are making.

Photo by Debbie of A Quilter's Table - Used with permission
Debbie's original post is here. The first step was given out yesterday. Here is the direct link for that post.

I'm undecided as to which fabrics I will use, but I've narrowed it down to two layouts.

First group

Second group
The middle fabric is the only one that changes between the two. I don't have three zippers of the same color in my stash. I have two of the oranges, two grays and one white. If I use the first group I may use black zippers, but I don't currently have any black in my stash. I used my last two blacks on my Classmate. I can get more of any of these but I think I may like using three different colors. What do you think?

In other sewing, my guild retreat is coming up and we are exchanging "sewing related items." This is a pretty broad category and open to interpretation. Here is what I'm thinking of using.

Sewing kit

Sewing kit
You can find the pattern for these here at Popular Patchwork.

My mom made me one of these some time ago and gave me the pattern too. I use it to store my little scissors so they don't poke a hole in anything or get dulled in my sewing kit. I dug out the pattern and made these two up. The one on the left uses the closing method described in the pattern. They say to use a tassel, which I don't have, so I used some cording and beads instead. Meh! The one of the right uses velcro which is what my mom did on mine. It's okay, but I should have used white thread to sew the velcro on. AND I sew the top piece of velcro to the wrong side. I removed it and resewed it on correctly but now you can see the stitching on the other side when it is closed. Hopefully, I'll get it right the third time! Time will tell.


3 comments:

West Michigan Quilter said...

I'm going to have to post about this too and link to you. I love your second group of fabrics...mainly because I love orange. Love your little sewing kits. So cute!

Mama Pea said...

I am partial to your second group, too. I think the different colored zippers will look great. I could use an orange zipper, but I used them all on my earbud pouches. Dang! I'll trade you a black for an orange! LOL. I love your little sewing kit. A button/buttonhole closure would be cute, too. I have my fabrics picked out---sort of---posted them on Flickr last night. Don't know if I'll get to cutting out tonight or not. I'm tired.

Debbie said...

Love your triple-zip fabric selections!