Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Which Witch's Boot - Finished!

Another finish to share this week! Again, I'm thrilled with how this has turned out!


I must admit that I was a bit afraid to quilt this. I've never quilted an embroidery piece before and wasn't quite sure how to quilt it. It has been basted and ready to go for about three weeks waiting for inspiration to strike.

Despite my quilt tester's assistance, I finished the quilting over the weekend.


I used three different thread colors, orange, parchment and shades of grey, all Signature 40 wt. cotton. This is the first time I've used one of the Signature variegated threads. I really like this one!


I quilted lines in orange on the pumpkin fabric following the vertical lines in the fabric. I quilted a spider web in each of the pieced nine patch blocks. I'm really happy with how well those turned out! I just stippled around the embroidery because I didn't want the quilting to compete with the embroidery. The narrow black border got circles and you can see the shades of grey thread pretty well on it. I did the Back and Forth pattern from Free-Motion Quilting with Angela Waters in the outer border. It doesn't show up well because I used the shades of grey there too, but I wanted the fabric to be the focus not the quilting. The finished size is about 38" tall by 39.5" wide.

Now I'm ready for Halloween 2013!


6 comments:

Denise in PA said...

Love the quilting! I'm taking note for when it's time to quilt mine! o:)

Jeanne said...

I love your Halloween quilt! The pumpkin fabric is perfect in it and your quilting is wonderful.

West Michigan Quilter said...

You should be thrilled! I love your wallhanging. Your quilt is wonderful. I love how you did so many different designs and not just one all over design. I like the different threads too.

Unknown said...

Awesome job! :)

Linda said...

Your Witches Boot is fantastic!!!! I love how you quilted it !gorgeous finish!

Mama Pea said...

I love how you quilted this, Lynn. And I've already told you how much I love that spider web fabric in your outer border. Just great!