Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Dance by the Light of the Moon

I will be teaching an embroidery class this next quarter at my LQS. Students can choose any embroidery pattern in the store. Since most of the embroidery patterns we carry are by Crabapple Hill, it will most likely be one of those designs. I am doing Dance by the Light of the Moon. Here is the top panel - traced, colored and ready for embroidery.


The second fabric I tea-dyed back in June is perfect for the embroidery base.

I'm trying two new things with this pattern. The first is using spool Cosmo floss. The second is using metallic Cosmo floss.


I love the spool floss!! It is two strands of floss. So much nicer than cutting a length of 6 strands and then having to pull out two at a time to use. The metallic floss is a bit challenging to use. The first strand I cut was too long. It knotted on me and knots in metallic floss are more challenging to get out. After that first strand, I have been careful to use shorter lengths. This has been much easier. It is not prickly but more like sewing with very fine tinsel.

I'll try to get a better picture of this project next time so you can see the difference between the regular floss and the metallic on the tree. If you look at the branch the owl is sitting on in the photo above, the top part of the branch is done with the metallic, the bottom part with the regular floss.


2 comments:

Denise in PA said...

I'm using Cosmo floss for the first time in a project - it's very nice! I like the idea of a spool though - wish I had known about that!

Mama Pea said...

I can't wait to get going on mine. I think the spools are a great idea! Aurifil's embroidery floss comes on a spool, too. Your project looked so great in person!