Monday, January 27, 2014

Globetrotting BOM

I've been seeing these blocks all over my Facebook feed this month. I decided early in the month that I would participate. I didn't start until yesterday because I wanted most of my sewing this month to be for me and this will be a Quilt of Valor. I finished my Modern Spools yesterday morning so I decided to get the January block done while it was still January. (I'll show you the finished Modern Spools tomorrow.) My reasoning is that keeping up with this is "for me" even though the quilt won't be.


I am using the fabrics friends gave me. Here's the story on the fabric:

At our last guild retreat I was working on my Star Value Quilt. I told them that I wanted to make another as a Quilt of Valor using red and blue for the stars and cheddar/gold for the diamonds keeping the gray/black and lights where they are in the original pattern. One of the ladies at the retreat walked over and handed me a large bag of red and blue fabric squares. She said this would give me a good start on my red and blue for the stars, which it did. I only had to add a little bit of blue from my stash. The style of the fabrics she gave me is Reproduction/Civil War. I don't have much of that type of fabric in my stash anymore and wanted to stick with this style for the quilt so I asked a couple of other people if they had any lights, cheddar or gray Reproduction/Civil War they would like to get rid of under the condition that I would use it only for this charity quilt. My friends gave me enough fabric to make several quilts! I have the Star Value QOV already cut out. It will be my main retreat project for our February retreat. Quilt #2 will be the Globetrotting BOM and I have a pattern chosen for Quilt #3. I was even given backing fabric for the Star Value QOV. Now all I have to do is make the quilts!

Information about the BOM: Globetrotting BOM (Click on the "Mystery BOM" tab for the materials list and the block one instructions) by Pat Sloan. I encourage you to click on Pat's name to go to her blog and look around. She has lots of great information, free patterns and other fun stuff on her blog. She hosts an online radio show each week that is lots of fun to listen to and hosts several online groups. I participate in Quilt Along with Pat Sloan on Facebook. (You must have a Facebook account to join this group) She also has a great newsletter which you can sign up for on her blog.


No comments: