Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Retreat Report

A good time was had by all!

The only thing I finished was a Jelly Roll 1600 quilt top.


We did a race on Saturday morning after breakfast. It took me 1 hour and 20 minutes to complete it. I came in second place. I was only a couple minutes behind the first place finisher. Instead of purchasing a jelly roll for the race, I brought 40 strips from my stash of 2 1/2" by WOF strips.

I made and squared up 360 half square triangle units.


I got the red/white and blue/white ones sewed up into their units but then ran out of steam on this project. I made a start on a project that has traveled with me to several retreats only to travel home in the same condition in which it left. I also finished the blocks for one of the samples for an upcoming class. I didn't have a design wall so I didn't attempt to sew any of the blocks together.

In addition to sewing, I did a little shopping.


The striped fabric on the left will become binding for at least one of the Quilts of Valor I am working on. I just liked the dot fabric and the charm packs.

We did our usual exchange game (dirty Santa style) to swap our containers. I came home with these two.


We laughed a whole lot, ate well and talked about everything under the sun. It is interesting how well you can get to know people by spending a weekend with them. Case in point: the pin cushion below belongs to one of the attendees. She had used a few of the pins by the time I took this picture, but it started out with all the pins evenly spaced and pushed all the way in. I never knew she had OCD tendencies. Sheesh! In all fairness, she said the pins are pushed all the way in to make it harder for her cat to pull them out. There was no explanation for why the pins are so precisely spaced. Frankly, I find this a bit scary but love her anyway. I'm not naming names to protect the guilty, but she knows who she is. It was so fun to get to know you better!


We put down our deposit for our next retreat which will be the last weekend in October. Looking forward to it already!


3 comments:

The Slow Quilter said...

I love retreats, they are so fun and it look like you had fun. Great Jelly Roll Quilt.

The Slow Quilter said...

I love retreats they are so much fun, and it look like you were having fun. Love the jelly roll quilt.

West Michigan Quilter said...

What a fun post to read! Sounds like you had a wonderful time. And a productive time too! I love retreats and you are right in that it gives us time to really get to know each other. What fun!