Friday, August 29, 2014

Scrap Happy Purse

I have wanted to make one of these for a long time. The pattern has been in my Craftsy wishlist for months. If you would like to purchase a copy of the pattern for yourself, click here to purchase it directly from the pattern designer or search for it as "Scrap Happy Purse" on Craftsy. The pattern is by Amanda Jean who blogs at Crazy Mom Quilts.

Here is my Scrap Happy Purse.


This is my first time using pre-made handles. They were pretty easy to hand sew on. The pattern also has instructions for fabric handles in case you don't have or don't want to use pre-made handles.

There are two pockets on the inside.


You could very easily add more pockets to the inside. There is a magnetic closure at the top. I used a new-to-me version of these that get sewn in on the wrong side of the lining so they are hidden. They are called invisible sew-in magnetic snaps. The link will take you to Nancy's Notions where I purchased mine.

These were interesting to sew on since the stitch plate on my machine is metal. Every time the magnet got close to the stitch plate it would jump. I ended up glueing the magnet to the wrong side of the lining and then placing a scrap of batting, folded over so it was doubled, underneath the magnet so I could sew it on. My machine had no problem sewing it on after that.

Pattern details: The pattern is well-written and easy to follow. There are good diagrams where needed. The finished bag is 9" wide by 11" tall by 5" deep. It is a great way to use up every last bit of your favorite fabrics!

I purchased this pattern. The above review is voluntary. I am not benefitting in any way by giving it a good review. I simply like the pattern and am happy with how my bag turned out. 

3 comments:

West Michigan Quilter said...

Cute purse. Great way to use those scraps. I like those straps too. I'll have to try those.

tahoe34 said...

You did such a beautiful job on this purse. I have been wanting to make one for awhile, and purchased the pattern a few months ago. Thanks for giving me the motivation to get it done!

Mama Pea said...

I love it! I have always wanted to make this. When we go to retreat in the July, Amanda Jean always brings her purse with her, so I've seen the original IRL! It's beautiful. Love yours, too. Those handles would be fun to try!