Friday, January 2, 2015

Selfish Sewing Month

Last year I decided that in January I would only sew projects for myself. It worked out so well, I'm going to do it again. I find that a lot of my sewing time at the end of the year is spent sewing for others so January seems like a good time to focus on myself. In addition, January is my birthday month so this is my gift to myself.

The first project I am going to tackle is to finish my Modern Monday quilt. The link will take you to the post in which I showed the completed top. That was on April 8, 2013! Quilting has already begun.


During Craftsy's end of the year class sale, I purchased the class The Secrets of Free-Motion Quilting. The design I'm doing on my Modern Monday quilt is one of the designs covered in the class.

I've only watched the first two sessions of this course. Despite not even finishing the course yet, I feel I can safely say that I love this class and am so glad I purchased it. The class is not a basics of free-motion quilting type course. There is no information about basting your quilt, stopping and starting, batting, needles or thread. The course covers free-motion quilting designs, which is exactly what I need. The lessons are organized by design type. Within the first two lessons the instructor, Christina Cameli, covers several designs, how to mix and match them to create more designs and how to look at a finished quilt and deconstruct the design so that you can figure out how it was stitched. When I finish the class I'll try to do a more thorough review, but if you are looking for free-motion quilting design ideas with instructions on how to stitch them, I recommend you check out this class on Craftsy.

The instructor, Christina Cameli, has a blog too, called A Few Scraps.




2 comments:

West Michigan Quilter said...

What a great idea! I think I'll do that as soon as I get over my cold and down to my sewing room. I love your Modern Monday quilt and the way you are quilting it. I was wondering if that class would work for someone like me who only has a 5" space to quilt in??

Mama Pea said...

What a great idea. Hey, I purchased that class, too. I followed Christina's blog before she was "famous." I adore her. I think her class is really great. I can't wait to practice her lessons. I just need the time now!