Friday, July 3, 2015

On the Edge of Addiction

I don't seem to be able to stop making things with clothesline. Here are two more items. Previous projects can viewed by following these links: first project post and second projects post.

The first is a large bowl made with an entire 100 ft. package, Aurifil 50 wt. color number 2000 thread and YLI 40 wt. "Teals 07V" threads.



It measures 11.5" in diameter at the top and 5.25" tall.

The second is a small tote bag made with an entire 100 ft. package of clothesline plus two 24" pieces of leftover clothesline from previous projects. Again I used Aurifil 50 wt. color 2000 thread but this time I switched the color to YLI 40 wt. "Cream to Brown 02V."



The tote measures 8" by 14.25" by 7" tall. For the handles I doubled the two 24" pieces of clothesline and sewed them together to make a single piece for each handle. The handles are attached to the tote by machine with the same method used to make the tote.

I wanted a larger tote but this is as large as I could make it with only 100 ft. without having to splice two packages together. I decided I'd prefer to use a longer package rather than splice two packages together since I am not covering the clothesline with fabric. My local hardware store only sells 100 ft. packages, but I found a 200 ft. package on Amazon. It has been ordered and will be here on Monday.




10 comments:

Tanya Quilts in CO said...

This looks like a healthy and productive addiction! I want to make a bag--now I am off to find out how you make these things. Thanks for the inspiration!

Calicojoan said...

I've found that the clothesline they sell at Wal Mart is perfect for these projects. You won't find 200 foot for sure, but its a nice weight to stitch thru and it's cheap!
;-) Hummm cheap and easy. LOL!!

Calicojoan said...

I've found that the clothesline they sell at Wal Mart is perfect for these projects. You won't find 200 foot for sure, but its a nice weight to stitch thru and it's cheap!
;-) Hummm cheap and easy. LOL!!

barbara woods said...

love you addiction

Marlene said...

Love your clothesline projects. Have never seen them done without covering with fabric. I have giot some that I bought a few years ago with good intentions of making a bowl. Wonder where it is? ??

Jenny said...

Oh my - that is sensational! It must take forever, though? Good on you!!

Jenny from New Zealand

Dawn said...

I love the white with blue stripes, very summery!

Mrs. Sew and Sew - Karen said...

Love them! Are there patterns for these? Is it hard on your machine?

Unknown said...

I am having a go at this I live in Australia. I am wanting to make a long box like container. I am having trouble keeping my bottom flat do you have any hint. It keeps curving up.
Regards
Sheryl

Lynn said...

Sheryl, I couldn't respond to you directly by email so I will leave a comment and hope that you see it. You have to keep your work flat as you sew or it will curve. The best situation is to have your machine recessed in a cabinet or table with an acrylic insert to give you a large flat work surface. The second best is to get an extension table for your machine. Sew Steady makes some of the best on the market and I believe they are available in Australia. If you have a large flat surface already then you are probably pulling the cord too much. Just place the next round next to the already sewn part. If you pull/stretch the cording it will start curving up. Hope this helps!